FIN 534 – Homework Chapter 10
1. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
a. The internal rate of return method (IRR) is generally regarded by academics as being the best single method for evaluating capital budgeting projects.
b. The payback method is generally regarded by academics as being the best single method for evaluating capital budgeting projects.
c. The discounted payback method is generally regarded by academics as being the best single method for evaluating capital budgeting projects.
d. The net present value method (NPV) is generally regarded by academics as being the best single method for evaluating capital budgeting projects.
e. The modified internal rate of return method (MIRR) is generally regarded by academics as being the best single method for evaluating capital budgeting projects.
2. Projects A and B have identical expected lives and identical initial cash outflows (costs). However, most of one project’s cash flows come in the early years, while most of the other project’s cash flows occur in the later years. The two NPV profiles are given below:
Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
a. More of Project A’s cash flows occur in the later years.
b. More of Project B’s cash flows occur in the later years.
c. We must have information on the cost of capital in order to determine which project has the larger early cash flows.
d. The NPV profile graph is inconsistent with the statement made in the problem.
e. The crossover rate, i.e., the rate at which Projects A and B have the same NPV, is greater than either project’s IRR.
3. Suppose a firm relies exclusively on the payback method when making capital budgeting decisions, and it sets a 4-year payback regardless of economic conditions. Other things held constant, which of the following statements is most likely to be true?
a. It will accept too many short-term projects and reject too many long-term projects (as judged by the NPV).
b. It will accept too many long-term projects and reject too many short-term projects (as judged by the NPV).
c. The firm will accept too many projects in all economic states because a 4-year payback is too low.
d. The firm will accept too few projects in all economic states because a 4-year payback is too high.
e. If the 4-year payback results in accepting just the right set of projects under average economic conditions, then this payback will result in too few long-term projects when the economy is weak.
4. You are on the staff of Camden Inc. The CFO believes project acceptance should be based on the NPV, but Steve Camden, the president, insists that no project should be accepted unless its IRR exceeds the project’s risk-adjusted WACC. Now you must make a recommendation on a project that has a cost of $15,000 and two cash flows: $110,000 at the end of Year 1 and -$100,000 at the end of Year 2. The president and the CFO both agree that the appropriate WACC for this project is 10%. At 10%, the NPV is $2,355.37, but you find two IRRs, one at 6.33% and one at 527%, and a MIRR of 11.32%. Which of the following statements best describes your optimal recommendation, i.e., the analysis and recommendation that is best for the company and least likely to get you in trouble with either the CFO or the president?
a. You should recommend that the project be rejected because its NPV is negative and its IRR is less than the WACC.
b. You should recommend that the project be rejected because, although its NPV is positive, it has an IRR that is less than the WACC.
c. You should recommend that the project be accepted because (1) its NPV is positive and (2) although it has two IRRs, in this case it would be better to focus on the MIRR, which exceeds the WACC. You should explain this to the president and tell him that the firm’s value will increase if the project is accepted.
d. You should recommend that the project be rejected. Although its NPV is positive it has two IRRs, one of which is less than the WACC, which indicates that the firm’s value will decline if the project is accepted.
e. You should recommend that the project be rejected because, although its NPV is positive, its MIRR is less than the WACC, and that indicates that the firm’s value will decline if it is accepted.
5. A firm is considering Projects S and L, whose cash flows are shown below. These projects are mutually exclusive, equally risky, and not repeatable. The CEO wants to use the IRR criterion, while the CFO favors the NPV method. You were hired to advise the firm on the best procedure. If the wrong decision criterion is used, how much potential value would the firm lose?
Year 0 1 2 3 4
CFS -$1,025 $380 $380 $380 $380
CFL -$2,150 $765 $765 $765 $765
Why Choose Us
We value our clients. For this reason, we ensure that each paper is written carefully as per the instructions provided by the client. Our editing team also checks all the papers to ensure that they have been completed as per the expectations.
Professional Academic Writers
Over the years, our Acme Homework has managed to secure the most qualified, reliable and experienced team of writers. The company has also ensured continued training and development of the team members to ensure that it keep up with the rising Academic Trends.
Our prices are fairly priced in such a way that ensures affordability. Additionally, you can get a free price quotation by clicking on the "Place Order" button.
We pay strict attention on deadlines. For this reason, we ensure that all papers are submitted earlier, even before the deadline indicated by the customer. For this reason, the client can go through the work and review everything.
At MyEssay.help, all papers are plagiarism-free as they are written from scratch. We have taken strict measures to ensure that there is no similarity on all papers and that citations are included as per the standards set.
Customer Support 24/7
Our support team is readily available to provide any guidance/help on our platform at any time of the day/night. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
MyEssay.help has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At MyEssay.help, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.