Rubric Discussions – Persuasion Topic
Topic – original (or modified to be different from classmate’s topic) Make sure it is a
Audience – Explain who your intended audience is and why this topic is appropriate to
Statement – Explain how you will develop this speech and maintain a tight focus on
Deliver your persuasive speech from your prepared speaking outline. Record and submit the speech and a document containing the following items:
checklist for Persuasive Speech
REMINDER: Your speech should be 4-7 minutes. You must have evidence that is valid to support the logic that you use for your speech, for your audience, as well as for your topic and the persuasive position that you are expressing.
Review your preparatory and your speaking outline. As part of your speaking outline for your assignment in this module, make sure that you are answering the following questions.
1. What type of issue are you addressing? (question of fact, value, policy, appeal for passive acceptance, appeal to action, some combination, or other type of issue)
2. Who is your audience? In what context? What do you know about your audience? What approaches would appeal to your audience? What questions or doubts are they likely to have? Will it be important to use visual aids or avoid them for your persuasive speech? (in this module, it is more important to focus on the development of your speech; if a visual aid is appropriate for both your topic and your audience, and if you are comfortable using a visual aid, then you may include it; however, you may have noticed that the most compelling persuasive speeches of our time have not used visual aids)
3. What is your major premise, your minor premise, and your conclusion? (even if you do not present this in your speech, it is important to know your own logic that leads you to your position)
4. How have you addressed the arguments for an opposing point of view regarding the issue you are raising in your speech?
5. What reasoning strategy will you use in your speech? Why? (what form of reasoning, such as example to generality; causal; analogical)
6. What evidence will you use? What makes the evidence credible to the audience? Why are you using this evidence? What are your sources? (include specific evidence, details, examples)
7. How does your evidence relate to your logic?
8. How will you use respected role models to demonstrate the attitude or dispositions that you wish the audience to accept? How will you engage the audience in having to work through the thinking about issues?
9. What emotional or value appeals will you make? Why? (what are the particular values or emotions to which you will appeal)
REMINDER: Build your answers into your introduction, previews, body of central and main ideas, wrap up transitions, and your summary and/or conclusion. Use an organization, language, and delivery of your speech that will be perceived as credible and become memorable for your audience.
Rubric Persuasive Speech
_____ (5 pts.) Choice of Subject
* Appropriate to speaker and listener
* Appropriate to assignment
* Speaks within time limits (4-7 minutes)
* Topic adequately limited
_____ (10 pts.) Introduction (memorized)
* Gains attention in a memorable way
* Establishes goodwill and credibility with audience
* Clearly discloses purpose
* Statement of key points
* 10-20 % of speech
_____ (15 pts.) Speaking Outline
* Easy to follow pattern of development appropriate to a persuasive speech
* Correct outline format – Follow visual frame of preparation outline (same numbers, letters, etc.
* Includes everything covered in the speech
* Legible – large letters, space between lines
* Use key words or phrases to jog memory (bullet points on which you can expand)
* Important points and quotations and statistics written in sentence form
* Cues for delivery (underline key ideas, jot cues such as “pause,” “repeat,” “louder,” or “slow
down” to help you remember)
_____ (10 pts.) List of at least four references using correct APA format (alphabetical order)
_____ (10 pts.) Development of body
* Well defined main points and central idea
* Excellent evidence, logic, and appeals that are relevant for your topic, your position on your
topic, and your audience
* Excellent use of reinforcement techniques (including visual aids)
* Great use of transitions, signposts, and/or internal previews to tie it all together
* Organization & language that makes it memorable in a positive and appealing way for your
* Quotations identified, explaining who said it and what makes him/her an authority
_____ (10 pts.) Extemporaneous delivery
* look more at audience than at notes
* Speaker uses note cards for mobility and access to audience
* Delivery style that makes it memorable and appealing
_____ (10 pts.) Body Language
* Use of facial expressions consistent with tone of speech
* Minimal physical movement, limited to movements that carry a message
* Posture & movement natural (not too rigid, not too relaxed)
* Use of eye contact without staring; not looking too much at any one person; look at all parts
of audience; use eye contact to impact important points
_____ (10 pts.) Voice, Pronunciation, & Language
* Nice, conversational style of delivery
* Clarity (easy to understand)
* Volume & pitch varied to create interest and enthusiasm
* Tone appropriate to subject
* Grammar and pronunciation correct
* Word choice appropriate to message
* Rate & pacing (natural; not slowed or hurried to accomodate speaking time)
_____ (10 pts.) Conclusion (memorized)
* Final Appeal or impression
* Re-statement of main points
* Provides closure so audience knows when speech is finished
* 5-10% of speech
_____ ( 10 pts.)
* Answers to “Checklist for Persuasive Speaking” about your persuasive speech
_____ (100 points) Total Rating
Why Choose Us
We value our clients. For this reason, we ensure that each paper is written carefully as per the instructions provided by the client. Our editing team also checks all the papers to ensure that they have been completed as per the expectations.
Professional Academic Writers
Over the years, our Acme Homework has managed to secure the most qualified, reliable and experienced team of writers. The company has also ensured continued training and development of the team members to ensure that it keep up with the rising Academic Trends.
Our prices are fairly priced in such a way that ensures affordability. Additionally, you can get a free price quotation by clicking on the "Place Order" button.
We pay strict attention on deadlines. For this reason, we ensure that all papers are submitted earlier, even before the deadline indicated by the customer. For this reason, the client can go through the work and review everything.
At MyEssay.help, all papers are plagiarism-free as they are written from scratch. We have taken strict measures to ensure that there is no similarity on all papers and that citations are included as per the standards set.
Customer Support 24/7
Our support team is readily available to provide any guidance/help on our platform at any time of the day/night. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
MyEssay.help has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At MyEssay.help, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.