In his call for a truly “American” effort in literature in “The American Scholar,” Emerson starts with indicating that our reliance on the past is part of what is crippling our progression forward: “Our day of dependence, our long apprenticeship to the learning of other lands, draws to a close. The millions that around us are rushing into life, cannot always be fed on the sere remains of foreign harvests” (2008, p. 520). The period in American Literature that we cover in Seminars Three and Four was a time when Emerson and others continued to question the idea of the “American.” Emerson’s essay largely focuses on the influence of the past upon the writer/scholar, and in the conclusion he notes that, “The scholar is that man who must take up into himself all the ability of the time, all the contributions of the past, all the hopes of the future. . . . We will walk on our own feet; we will work with our own hands; we will speak our own minds” (Emerson, 2008, p. 520). That theme is picked up again in his “Self-Reliance” in which he declares, “Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist” (Emerson, 2008, p. 535).
In your second essay for this course, consider the influence of the past in the works we read from Norton’s Anthology of American Literature, Shorter Seventh Edition in Seminars Three and Four. In what ways do the authors and works we’ve read in those seminars challenge the codes and mores of the past? What “new territory” are these writers seeking to carve out? In many ways, this paper is a continuation of the issues regarding identity and what “American” means that you addressed in Essay 1.
You are encouraged to develop a focused thesis that grapples with this question of American identity and the concern with self-reliance in terms of literature/literary creation by choosing one of the following as the basis of your essay. Regardless of your choice, keep Emerson’s declaration about nonconformity in mind as you write:
1. Ruebens’ PAL site (http://www.csustan.edu/english/reuben/pal/chap3/irving.html) indicates that “Rip Van Winkle” plays on the idea of the American Dream and offers various versions of it. Write an essay in which you explore what Irving’s story says about that dream, and specifically what it says about American identity. What “overturning” of tradition and old ways do we see in this story? Who is the new American that is Rip at the end of the story? How is he changed? What do those changes correlate to in terms of changes in American identity after the Revolution?
2. In what ways might Poe’s “The Fall of the House of Usher” be seen as a message regarding family traditions and conformity to tradition?
3. Write an essay about Melville’s story “Bartleby the Scrivener” that examines Bartleby as a product of urban development. How does Bartleby refuse to conform? What message about individuality is Melville trying to convey?
4. Analyze what Davis seems to be saying about the American Dream and how we can reach our full potential. Is her story challenging the idea of the dream as the successful expression of ourselves that can overcome all other influences? Does Davis’ story show that Emerson’s ideal of the artist as a non-conformist is not really attainable or practical? Does the story demonstrate that it takes more than just self-reliance to be successful? Consider Dr. May’s ideas about self-reliance as you develop your essay.
5. Wild card option: With your instructor’s approval, you may develop an essay for this assignment that analyzes a work from seminar 3 or 4. You must consult with your instructor first, indicating which text you wish to use and how that analysis will demonstrate the concept of conformity and identity.
Textual Support: Consider grounding your discussion in the ideas discussed by Emerson in “The American Scholar” or “Self-Reliance” to set up the concerns regarding American identity and how that is portrayed through literature. You’ll also, of course, use quotations from the texts that you are analyzing. Do not use The Scarlet Letter for this assignment.
Length: Your essay should have no fewer than five paragraphs (you’ll actually need more) and should be no fewer than 1250-1500 words (approximately five double-spaced pages in Times New Roman 12 point), not counting the title page and references page. Note that this is a minimum length.
Why Choose Us
We value our clients. For this reason, we ensure that each paper is written carefully as per the instructions provided by the client. Our editing team also checks all the papers to ensure that they have been completed as per the expectations.
Professional Academic Writers
Over the years, MyEssay.Help has managed to secure the most qualified, reliable and experienced team of writers. The company has also ensured continued training and development of the team members to ensure that it keep up with the rising Academic Trends.
Our prices are fairly priced in such a way that ensures affordability. Additionally, you can get a free price quotation by clicking on the "Place Order" button.
We pay strict attention on deadlines. For this reason, we ensure that all papers are submitted earlier, even before the deadline indicated by the customer. For this reason, the client can go through the work and review everything.
At MyEssay.help, all papers are plagiarism-free as they are written from scratch. We have taken strict measures to ensure that there is no similarity on all papers and that citations are included as per the standards set.
Customer Support 24/7
Our support team is readily available to provide any guidance/help on our platform at any time of the day/night. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
MyEssay.help has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At MyEssay.help, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.