Inter- and Independent Cultural Perspectives
Western cultures such American and European tend to view individuals as independent or in control of one’s own behavior and self-sustaining. In contrast, the Asian perspective holds individuals as interdependent or the product of continued interaction with and dependence upon others. Independent and interdependent cultural perspectives impact social cognition differently.
There are many areas specific to social cognition which demonstrate independent versus interdependent perspectives. These include study of the self, attribution, modes of processing, motivation or locus of control, cognitive consistency, moral judgment, and acculturation. For example, individuals having predominately independent perspectives may make attributions that too, are more independent in nature versus someone having an interdependent perspective.
For this Discussion, consider the extent to which you identify with the independent and/or interdependent perspectives. To what extent to you feel you control your behavior versus being informed by other people in order to think, feel, and behave? Consider how these perspectives might impact your daily life.
Post by Day 4 a brief description of interdependent and independent cultural perspectives. Provide one example of either your own behavior or that of someone you observed demonstrating either an interdependent or an independent self-construal. Last, describe (at least two) factors that may have impacted why the individual in your example held an interdependent or independent self-construal.
Bottom of Form
Bottom of Form
· Course Text: Handbook of Prejudice, Stereotyping, and Discrimination
o Chapter 3, “Intergroup Threat Theory”
o Chapter 19, “Racism in the 21st Century”
· Article: Cheung, R. Y .M., & Park, I. J. K. (2010). Anger suppression, interdependent self-construal, and depression among Asian American and European American college students. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 16(4), 517–525. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the MEDLINE with Full Text database.
· Article: Clark, A. E., & Kashima, Y. (2003). Stereotype maintenance in communication: How perceptions of stereotype sharedness contribute to the stereotype content of interpersonal communication. Australian Journal of Psychology, 55(Suppl.), 38. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Academic Search Complete database.
· Article: Conway, L. G., Schaller, M., Tweed, R. G., & Hallett, D. (2001). The complexity of thinking across cultures: Interactions between culture and situational context. Social Cognition, 19(3), 228–250. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the PsycINFO database. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Academic Search Complete database.
· Article: Cuddy, A. J. C., Fiske, S. T., Kwan, V. S. Y., Glick, P., Demoulin, S., Leyens, J. P., Bonds, M. H.,…Ziegler, R. (2009). Stereotype content model across cultures: Towards universal similarities and some differences. British Journal of Social Psychology, 48(1), 1–33. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Academic Search Complete database.
· Article: Markus, H. R., & Kitayama, S. (2010). Cultures and selves: A cycle of mutual constitution. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 5(4), 420–430. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the PsycINFO database.
· Article: Zebrowitz, L. A., Kikuchi, M., & Fellous, J. (2010). Facial resemblance to emotions: Group differences, impression effects, and race stereotypes. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 98(2), 175–189. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the PsycARTICLES database.
Why Choose Us
We value our clients. For this reason, we ensure that each paper is written carefully as per the instructions provided by the client. Our editing team also checks all the papers to ensure that they have been completed as per the expectations.
Professional Academic Writers
Over the years, MyEssay.Help has managed to secure the most qualified, reliable and experienced team of writers. The company has also ensured continued training and development of the team members to ensure that it keep up with the rising Academic Trends.
Our prices are fairly priced in such a way that ensures affordability. Additionally, you can get a free price quotation by clicking on the "Place Order" button.
We pay strict attention on deadlines. For this reason, we ensure that all papers are submitted earlier, even before the deadline indicated by the customer. For this reason, the client can go through the work and review everything.
At MyEssay.help, all papers are plagiarism-free as they are written from scratch. We have taken strict measures to ensure that there is no similarity on all papers and that citations are included as per the standards set.
Customer Support 24/7
Our support team is readily available to provide any guidance/help on our platform at any time of the day/night. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
MyEssay.help has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At MyEssay.help, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.