The first word document is a detailed introduction to assignment. This assignment uses the school’s ID and password, log in to EIKON to download the data, and then complete the first assignment！
The assessment is submitted as an individual assignment
You will be given funds to invest in the share market. You are required to construct two $1,000,000 equity investment portfolios:
1. A passive portfolio replicating the return of the index
2. An active portfolio to achieve your investment objective of outperforming the index
You will then prepare a report in which you can explain your investment strategy for constructing a passive and an active portfolio and then evaluate the investment performance of each in terms of absolute and relative return, risk and attribution effects to explain the differences in performance of each portfolio. You will be given an equally weighted index of ten companies selected from companies listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.
This assessment replicates the tasks that would be undertaken by portfolio managers in a real-world investment company. For the passive portfolio, your task will be to replicate, as closely as possible, the risk and return characteristics of the benchmark index. For your active portfolio, your task will be to select stocks and sectors, which will result in your portfolio, achieving a higher return than the index.
Your task is not necessarily to produce a positive return. If the markets fall in value, then your passive portfolio should fall in value by a similar degree. Your active portfolio should aim to outperform the return on the index: if the index falls your portfolio should fall by a lesser amount; if the index rises then your portfolio should rise by a higher amount.
The final submission should fulfil the following minimum requirements
For Passive portfolio
· calculate the numbers of shares required for your passive portfolio to replicate the composition of the index
For Active portfolio
Assess all ten companies and sectors from the index
· analyse the outlook for each company’s industry
· analyse the macroeconomic environment at the global and domestic level
· identify the firms and sectors which you consider will outperform relative to the index and build your active portfolio to reflect your predictions
· analyse and comment on financial ratios of each company over the previous five years
· Return on Equity
· Net Profit Margin
· Earnings Growth
Evaluate your findings and select six companies for your active portfolio
· after assessing the ten companies, select six to be included in your active portfolio
· describe in the reasons for your selections (around 5 bullet points for each stock)
· also, describe the reasons why you have not chosen the other four firms (around 5 bullet points for each stock)
· assign portfolio weights for each of your companies and discuss why you have chosen the weights in comparison to the weight of each stock in the index
· calculate the number of shares required for each company to create a portfolio with the initial weights you have selected for your active portfolio
è why are some companies overweight in your portfolio, and why are others underweight?
è what do these active weights mean for your portfolio’s potential performance relative to the index?
Build your portfolios
· create these two portfolios in Refinitiv Eikon, ensuring that all dates and numbers of shares are correct
Portfolio Creation Dates
· Start Date: September 28, 2020,Monday
· Start Date: October 12, 2020,Monday
· BAFI 1042 2020
Portfolio Analysis period for both portfolios
· Start Date: October 12, 2020
· End Date: October 23, 2020
Observe your portfolios’ performances over two weeks
· as the share prices change over the evaluation period, you will be able to watch how the returns on the index, your active portfolio and your passive portfolio react
Report Summary should include the following minimum points
· discuss your investment goals and stock selection strategies
For each portfolio
· explain the reasoning for your stock selection and weighting relative to the index
· provide comments on total return/risk and active return/risk of your portfolios
· discuss the sectors and securities’ active weights in your portfolio compared to the benchmark
· report your results for each portfolio
· analyse the active return of your portfolios with reference to the allocation and selection effects
· comment on the Sharpe Ratio and Treynor Ratio for both portfolios. What does each of these ratios indicate? Which is a more appropriate measure for each portfolio?
· What was the overall performance of the active portfolio, your passive portfolio and the benchmark index?
· describe any major market events which contributed to the return performance of the benchmark or of your portfolios
· have you achieved (or not achieved) the goal for your passive/active portfolio
Finally, which of the two portfolios will you recommend and why?
Data for your report from Eikon
Eikon calculates the portfolio statistics you will require for your report. The information you will need can be found as listed below.
Total and Active Return
Balanced Summary – Contribution
Contribution to Return
Equity Summary – Performance/Contribution
Contribution to Portfolio Weight
Equity Summary – Allocation
Allocation and Selection Effects
Brinson Single Currency
Contribution to Total Risk
Ex-ante Multi-factor Risk – Portfolio Summary
Contribution to Active Risk
Ex-ante Multi-factor Risk – Active Summary
Performance Ratios (Sharpe, Treynor)
The index constituents, which each have a 10% weighting, are as follows:
Bank of Queensland Ltd
Bluescope Steel Ltd
Crown Resorts Ltd
Ramsay Health Care Ltd
Woolworths Group Ltd
Woodside Petroleum Ltd
References and Citations
Use proper citations and references and include a list of references you use in your report. Failure to do so will result in a lower grade. RMIT provides a web site which explains the use of the Harvard reference system.
Please consult it here: https://www.lib.rmit.edu.au/easy-cite/
Some useful resources for this assignment include
Reilly, Frank K., Keith C. Brown and Sanford Leeds, Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management (11th Edition), Thomson South-Western, 2019.
You should also conduct your own analysis using the companies’ web sites, annual reports, Refinitiv Eikon, IBISWorld and any other sources you consider to be relevant for your report. The more resources you use for your research, the better your analysis will be.
Assignment submission procedure
All assignments must be submitted online through the course Canvas Turnitin for a plagiarism check. They must be accompanied by an assignment cover sheet.
An Important Note on Plagiarism
What is Plagiarism?
Plagiarism is the presentation of the work, ideas or creation of another person without appropriate referencing, as though it is one’s own. Plagiarism can occur in oral and written presentations and is never acceptable. The use of another person’s work or ideas must be acknowledged. Failure to do so may result in charges of academic misconduct, which carry a range of penalties, including cancellation of results and exclusion from the course.
Students are advised to read and understand the University’s policy on plagiarism.
Why Choose Us
We value our clients. For this reason, we ensure that each paper is written carefully as per the instructions provided by the client. Our editing team also checks all the papers to ensure that they have been completed as per the expectations.
Professional Academic Writers
Over the years, MyEssay.Help has managed to secure the most qualified, reliable and experienced team of writers. The company has also ensured continued training and development of the team members to ensure that it keep up with the rising Academic Trends.
Our prices are fairly priced in such a way that ensures affordability. Additionally, you can get a free price quotation by clicking on the "Place Order" button.
We pay strict attention on deadlines. For this reason, we ensure that all papers are submitted earlier, even before the deadline indicated by the customer. For this reason, the client can go through the work and review everything.
At MyEssay.help, all papers are plagiarism-free as they are written from scratch. We have taken strict measures to ensure that there is no similarity on all papers and that citations are included as per the standards set.
Customer Support 24/7
Our support team is readily available to provide any guidance/help on our platform at any time of the day/night. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
MyEssay.help has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At MyEssay.help, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.